The mass media is dumbing down the news. I have often questioned where was the rest of
the story. All of the networked seem to
skim just the top of the story without providing the meat. If there is a story I want to know additional
information about, I often had to result to the Internet. I often questioned why this was being
done. Did they think American were not intellectual
enough to grasp the storyline? Or is it
that they do not know have the meat of the story themselves due to a lack of
investigative skills. They provide just
enough information to make use turn our head, but leave use wanting more. I found an article on Daily Kos. The name of the article is “The television
news media in America; the dumbing down of a nation!” The article speaks about how the big
corporations, such as General Electric, own the news broadcasting companies,
such as CNBC, NBC and MSNBC. They are not interested in reporting the news.
From the article and comments, I am not the only that is feeling cheated after
viewing the news on television.
Work Cited
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/03/04/1070493/-The-television-news-media-in-America-The-dumbing-down-of-a-nation#
I rarely ever watch Television news, but I very often have the same thought you do when getting news from other types of sources, "where is the rest of the story?" More times than not, media outlets and news outlets will only give one side of the story. They will leave out facts, twist the truth, add in "more exciting" aspects, just to gain viewers and bring in more profits. I always try to do more research when I hear/watch/read something on the news, just to be sure I have as much information as I can on the issue.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you wholeheartedly! I think that television news stations are "dumbing down" America's news. I feel as though when I turn on the tv to watch the news, I never really gain any knowledge of what is really going on. I feel as though the news (especially local news) just skims the surface of the most interesting stories that they think we will care about and don't really contribute to our knowledge. Their not being helpful to society when they do this. They are only reporting news because it is their industry and they are their to make a profit and comply to their orders from above their heads.
ReplyDeleteI most definitely agree with you. The media seems to either dumb down stories, not tell the full story, or not looked into a story more themselves. Headlines and big stories seem to fill the media but without going into depth of what really happened. I would have to say it is a mixture of dumbing down the story and a lack of investigating skills as you mentioned. If the media is not searching for more information there is not more to give to us, the public.
ReplyDelete